Online presence is vital for any business, even for brick-and-mortar stores that want to spread the word about their shop. And a well-built website not only strengthens your online presence but also helps you build a brand and boost your online rankings.
Here are six tips for businesses to build an effective business to improve their organic ranking on search engines and stay ahead of the competition.
Table of Contents
6 Tips for Businesses to Build an Effective Website
Choose a Strong Domain Name
The first thing that’s important for any business website is having a strong domain name. It gives your business instant credibility and sets a tone for how your prospects or customers find your website. Choosing the right domain name is also critical for search engine optimization (SEO) as it helps your business be found online and rank higher on search result pages.
Below are a few tips to choose a strong domain name:
- Choose a relevant name that accurately represents your business. You may go for a branded domain (your company name) or use your niche keywords in the domain name.
- Go for .com, .org, or .net domain name extensions. .com is the most popular extension, such as healthylife.com.
- Make sure the domain name is short, catchy, memorable, and easy to type. Avoid difficult words, hyphens, and numbers. For your consulting business, it makes sense to go with something like consultants.com than nystation-consultants.com (the hyphen and length might make it hard for people to type or remember the domain name).
You can use tools like saw.com/appraisals/ to appraise the value of your domain name. The more the appraisal value, the stronger the domain name.
Make Your Site Mobile Responsive
With the fact that 57% of all website traffic comes from mobile devices, you can’t ignore the importance of a mobile responsive site. Your prospects will instantly abandon your site if it’s difficult to navigate on mobile devices, leading to fewer sales and conversions.
Your business website should provide a positive user experience across all devices and different screen sizes. A positive mobile user experience also improves your online ranking as search engine algorithms prioritize mobile-friendly sites.
Ensure a Simple and Clean Navigation
Make it easy for your website visitors to quickly navigate between web pages and access information on your website. Cluttered or complex navigation leads to a bad user experience and frustrates the user to leave the site after a few clicks.
Good navigation allows visitors to stay on your site for longer and find what they are looking for without frustration. Below are some ways to ensure effective website navigation:
- Keep the navigation’s position and design consistent across the web pages.
- Make sure categories and subcategories are clearly and visually defined.
- Make sure all navigation elements are clickable.
- Avoid complex and cluttered menus.
- Clearly highlight the search button on top of a page.
Make Sure Your Site Loads Fast
A slow-loading website will make a visitor quickly leave your site, and they’ll turn to your competitors. According to HubSpot, slow-loading web pages affect the purchase decisions of around 70% of online shoppers.
Make sure your website’s loading speed is fast to improve your conversion rates, boost organic ranking, and lower bounce rates. It shouldn’t take longer than 0.3 to 3 seconds to load a page on your site. You can ensure this by optimizing your site’s images, choosing efficient hosting, and removing technical errors on your site.
Keep the Design Simple and Appealing
Your website design is the first thing a visitor will notice when they land on your site. A cluttered and unappealing design will leave a bad first impression and may turn off a potential customer.
Make sure your site’s design is clean and minimalist by following these tips:
- Use consistent colors throughout your website
- Use white space to avoid clutter and make your site scannable
- Use appealing and relevant visuals
- The fonts should be easy to read
- Make sure your calls to action are easily visible and clickable
- Make your contact information visible by placing it at the top and bottom of the pages
- The navigation should be organized and clean
Provide High-Quality Content
Quality content equals improved sales and conversions. Make sure your site’s content is customer oriented and actionable. It should provide value to your prospects so that you may get repeat visitors and more customers. Moreover, the content should be free of grammatical errors, fluff, and irrelevant stuff.
You also want to ensure that the content is updated because search engines and website visitors love fresh content. The best way to keep your content fresh is by having a blog on your website so that you can communicate with your visitors and stay ahead of the industry trends. Blog also supports your organic online ranking and helps build authority.
Follow TechWaver for more!